FEATURED FRIDAYS: Philbert D. Lui
Philbert Lui is working with Kollaboration Toronto as a program director. Get to know him a little bit better!
1. Why do you want to be part of Kollaboration?
I want to be a part of Kollaboration because I wholeheartedly believe in its movement. It is an international platform to help discover the repressed and hidden artistic talents of our global Asian community.
2. What one word would you describe this organization and why?
Kollaboration is all about discovering the gifts and talents within our community.
3. What one word would you describe yourself and why?
That’s what I want to do, and what I am. At the end of the day I just want to tell stories. Whether it be fiction or non-fiction, on film or on stage, music or images. I just want to tell a good story.
4. Name three of your successes.
– Winning the T24 Visual Thesis Award at the 2011 Toronto Youth Shorts Film Festival
– Having the opportunity to work with a variety of arts/media organizations for the past few years
– Being surrounded by great peers and colleagues who continually support me without condition
Philbert Lui in a nutshell:
The silhouettes are of characters from the manga One Piece, which revolves around this young pirate crew called the Strawhats. I added “Conquer the Grand Line” in the background because that is the crew’s ultimate goal. Not to rule over the sea like a warlord, but to have as much freedom as possible. This reflects what I want to do. I want my creativity to be as free as possible with a crew whom I trust my life on, and vice versa.
In short, it’s quite simple. Protect your crew at all costs, find a new adventure, sail on.
What others have said about Philbert:
“He’s very mellow, but he’ll have those spontaneous outbursts of dorkiness from nowhere. You know what, maybe we should call him “nerdy for all eternity”. because he might arguably be nerdier/dorkier than me – by a smidgen. ” – June Park
Thanks for your hard work, dedication and inspiration Philbert.